This program is separated in four parts through the use of tabs
* The first tab contains operations related to bill/receipts * The second tab contains operations related to the companies or organizations that have issued the above bills * The third tab contains operation related to income * The fourth tab is about reports and useful statistics
In more detail:
The first three tabs share the same philosophy. At the upper part of the tab we find a drop-down menu through which we can select an action to execute. The available actions on these tabs are the following three.
- Insert (Insert a new bill or company)
- Edit (Edit one already existing bill or company)
- Delete (Delete one already existing bill or company)
The first thing we have to do in order to insert a new bill is to insert the company that has issued this bill. In order to insert the company we need two things. The company name and its tax service unique id number (in Greece named AFM). At the moment the maximum AFM length allowed is 9 alphanumeric characters and it must be unique. The length limit of the name is 254 characters and we do not have a unique constraint in this field. Both fields are obligatory. When we have completed the two fields, we hit the execution button (go).
After we have inserted the company, it receives a unique id number, by which we can manipulate this specific record. We can see this id by selecting the Reports tab and using the "Present Companies" report. The id appears at its first column. This id number is used when we want to edit the details of the company, or delete it. To do that we select the action, hit the Retrieve button, so that the fields are filled with the details of the company, change whatever we like and then hit the execute button (go).
Please bear in mind that when we delete a company, all relative bills with this company are deleted automatically.
Although not absolutely necessary, it is a good idea to separate the companies by categories. So before you enter your first company please insert one or more categories from the menu (Tools-> Manage Categories). If you do not want to separate your companies by categories, please create one generic category and all the companies will be automatically linked to this category.
Bills - Receipts
After inserting the company that has issued the bill or receipt on hand, we can now go on with the insertion of the bill itself. The procedure is almost identical with the one for the insertion of the company. We insert the date of issue of the bill, the date of payment (in year-month-date format e.g 2010-07-20), we select the company that has issued the bill from the dropdown list, the amount of the bill and hit the go button. The reason for the two dates is that there are cases when a bill is issued in one day and is not paid in the same date (e.g telephone bills, elecricity etc), when we have a receipt on hand (e.g from a supermarket) we enter the same date in both fields.
From the version released from 04/12/2010 and afterwards, in the cases when the issue date is the same with the payment date, you can just enter the issue date hit enter and the payment date will be filled automatically.
You can use the option Foreign Currency to insert an invoice issued in a foreign currency. For example if your main currency is in euro and you have an invoice in dollars, you can insert the value of the invoice as normal in dollars and in the foreign currency the todays exchange value of dollar in euros. The application will convert the invoice value by multiplication and store it in the database. You can get the today's exchange by using the show rates option.
Likewise with the edit or delete action at the companies tab, we can find the bill id from the "Present Bills" report and change the details of the record or delete it altogether.
The comment field was introduced in the 23/09/2012 version. It is not a mandatory field and exist in both expenses and income tabs. It can be used for free text comment up to 100 characters. Especially for those obliged to submit tax forms in the Greek tax service, it can be used to mark special records, for example those that are also monitored by the tax service electronic system, through the use of the receipt card. By using a comment for these records, you can export your data as csv separate them in a later time through the use of a spreadsheet filter.
At the current version (after 05 of August 2010), income tracking is also supported by the application, although not all related reports are complete yet.
The income tracking is based on the same idea as bills/receipts tracking: There is a dropdown list that contain all the companies on which you have received bills or receipts. Through this list you can track down the companies that pay you. Some times the company you pay may be the same with the company you spent money on. For example i work at a bank, from which i receive my salary and pay back an amount for a loan i have received.
Also the date of payment and the amount are required.
The third and last tab has to to exclusively with reports and statistics. Here we can find the basic 3 reports (companies, bills, income) and a number of other reports providing us with details as to how much money we have spent or receive, on which company, the total amount, reports per year, reports per month for a specific year etc. We can compare our expenses per category between two years. Some reports will generate a diagram of the data presented in textual form (expenses/month for a year and income/month for a year).
Tools In this menu the user can find two options.
- One option is validate AFM (Greece) /VAT (UK) tax service numbers. It is just a useful utility that can be used to verify that a number you have typed in is a valid tax service number.
- The second option is categories management. It exists in the version after the 2010-09-27 release. From this version, you can organize your companies in categories etc utility bills, groceries, foods etc. From this menu you can insert and update the categories. You can choose the category of a company through the dropdown menu in the companies tab. Categories are going to be used in some reports and as a csv export option in later releases
The application except the mentioned functions supports some more through the use of special menus.These functions are:
- Shutting down the application and the database
- Deleting all the records of the database
- Exporting the database as csv in various ways
- Importing the database from a backup copy as a csv
- Saving any report in csv format
- Fast exit of the application with the ctrl-Q combination
- Currency Exchange Rates. A utility option that will present the current exchange rates. You can use it to record (convert) expenses not in your main currency. eg if your main currency is euro and you buy something in USD copy and paste the value of usd->euro value (how many euro is one usd) in the appropriate textfield and insert the amount you have spent (in USD) in the amount field. It will multiply the two values and insert the result to the database.
- Change the database main currency. With this option you can change the database currency from the one to the other. For example if you want to change you database from euro to dollars, just type in the exchange rate of the euro-dollar and hit execute.
- Calculate the amortization of a loan or mortgage for various payment periods including the amortization table.
- Display the transactions completed per company and produce a total.